Pipestone County, MN Bank Note History
The National Banks, Bankers and Bank Notes of Pipestone County, MN (1889-1935)
'Hometown' National Bank Notes showing the bank's name, and signed by local bank officers, were issued by most National Banks during the National Bank Note Era (1863-1935). Pipestone County had seven National Banks in operation between 1889 and 1935. Five of these seven banks issued National Bank Notes.
For further information on the origin and history of National Bank Notes, see this Wikipedia page.
National Banks of Pipestone County
- First National Bank (Charter 11724) (1920-1933) (Conservatorship/Receivership)
- The First National Bank of Holland did not issue National Bank Notes.
- First National Bank (Charter 6523) (1902-1925) (Receivership/Local Depression)
- First National Bank (Charter 3982) (1889-1936+) (Open past 1935)
- Pipestone National Bank (Charter 10936) (1917-1929) (Succeeded by 13399)
- –> Pipestone National Bank (Charter 13399) (1929-1936+) (Open past 1935)
- The Pipestone National Bank (Charter 13399) did not issue National Bank Notes.
- First National Bank (Charter 5892) (1901-1910) (Converted to State Bank of Ruthton)
- First National Bank (Charter 7625) (1905-1933) (Conservatorship/Receivership)
- Edward W. Davies (Charters 5892,6523,7625,10936/13399; Plus 3 SD National Banks)
- Edward J. Feldman (Charter 3982; Plus 1 other MN National Bank & several State Banks)
- William C. Briggs (Charter 3982; MN State Representative)
- Arthur C. Walker (Charters 3982,10936/13399)
- William T. Morgan (Charter 3982)
- Severt B. Duea (Charter 5892; MN State Representative; MN State Senator; MN State Superintendent of Banks)
National Bank Notes
National Bank Ephemera
- Pipestone County Historical Society & Museum, Pipestone, MN, https://pipestonecountymuseum.com/
- Arthur P. Rose, An Illustrated History of the Counties of Rock and Pipestone Minnesota (Luverne, MN: Northern History Publishing Co.,1911).
- Don C. Kelly, National Bank Notes, A Guide with Prices. 6th Edition (Oxford, OH: The Paper Money Institute, 2008).
- Dean Oakes and John Hickman, Standard Catalog of National Bank Notes. 2nd Edition (Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 1990).
- Banks & Bankers Historical Database (1782-1935), https://bbdata.banknotehistory.com