Pennsylvania Bank Note History
The Pennsylvania Bank Note History home page consolidates historical information on the National/Obsolete Banks, Bankers and Banking History of Pennsylvania. It also highlights What's New, along with some Famous Pennsylvania Banks & Bankers, and lists helpful Research Resources.
Pennsylvania County home pages
County Bank Note History home pages provide information on the Banks, Bankers and Bank Notes for that county during the National Bank Note Era (1863-1935), and also the Obsolete Bank Note Era (1782-1866) (if applicable for that county). All of the county's National & Obsolete Banks are listed with links to their Bank History pages. Prominent Bankers are also listed with links to their Banker Bio pages. Several Bank Notes are featured, as well as bank postcards and other bank related ephemera.
If you have a local County Historical Society/Museum, they may be interested in adding a link on their website to their County's Bank Note History home page in our wiki.
- (There are currently no Pennsylvania County home pages set up)
What's New in Pennsylvania Bank Note History
- Bank Histories:
- First NB of Beaver Springs/First NB, Adamsburg/Beaver Springs, PA (Charter 5777) (1901-1936+)
- First National Bank, Bangor, PA (Charter 14170) (1934-1973)
- First National Bank, Bath, PA (Charter 5444) (1900-1993)
- Lehigh Valley National Bank, Bethlehem, PA (Charter 2050) (1872-1932)
- Monongahela National Bank, Brownsville, PA (Charter 648) (1864-1931)
- Catawissa National Bank, Catawissa, PA (Charter 7448) (1902-1936+)
- First National Bank, Catawissa, PA (Charter 4548) (1891-1936+)
- County National Bank, Clearfield, PA (Charter 855) (1865-1934)
- Clearfield National Bank, Clearfield, PA (Charter 4836) (1893-1932)
- First National Bank, Connellsville, PA (Charter 2329) (1876-1928)
- Citizens National Bank, Connellsville, PA (Charter 6452) (1902-1930)
- Colonial National Bank, Connellsville, PA (Charter 7445) (1904-1927)
- First National Bank, Dawson, PA (Charter 4673) (1891-1936+)
- Duncannon National Bank, Duncannon, PA (Charter 4142) (1889-1974)
- Peoples National Bank, Duncannon, PA (Charter 8778) (1907-1936+)
- Fredonia National Bank, Fredonia, PA (Charter 13884) (1933-1936+)
- Freedom National Bank, Freedom, PA (Charter 5454) (1900-1973)
- First National Bank, Gratz, PA (Charter 9473) (1909-1934)
- Halifax National Bank, Halifax, PA (Charter 5601) (1900-2009)
- Standing Stone National Bank, Huntingdon, PA (Charter 6090) (1902-1923)
- Codorus National Bank of Jefferson, PA (Charter 9660) (1910-1934)
- Codorus National Bank in Jefferson, PA (Charter 14071) (1934-1936+)
- First National Bank, Jefferson, PA (Charter 11370) (1919-1936+)
- First National Bank, Lansdale, PA (Charter 430) (1864-1936+)
- First National Bank, Lansford, PA (Charter 5234) (1899-1971)
- Russell National Bank, Lewistown, PA (Charter 10506) (1914-2001)
- Littlestown National Bank, Littlestown, PA (Charter 9207) (1908-1988)
- First National Bank, Liverpool, PA (Charter 8326) (1906-2018)
- Union National Bank, Mahanoy City, PA (Charter 3997) (1889-1936+)
- Mars National Bank, Mars, PA (Charter 5599) (1900-1936+)
- First National Bank, Marysville, PA (Charter 7353) (1904-1936+)
- Second National Bank, Mechanicsburg, PA (Charter 326) (1864-1936+)
- Second National Bank, Meyersdale, PA (Charter 5801) (1901-1936+)
- Citizens National Bank, Meyersdale, PA (Charter 5833) (1901-2016)
- First National Bank, Midland, PA (Charter 8311) (1906-1985)
- First National Bank, Mifflintown, PA (Charter 4039) (1889-2021+)
- First National Bank, Millerstown, PA (Charter 7156) (1904-1936+)
- Union National Bank, Mount Carmel, PA (Charter 8393) (1906-2021+)
- First National Bank, New Bloomfield, PA (Charter 5133) (1898-1936+)
- First National Bank, Newport, PA (Charter 4917) (1893-2007)
- Farmers National Bank, Newville, PA (Charter 9588) (1909-2000)
- Peoples National Bank, Patterson/Mifflin, PA (Charter 9678) (1910-1936+)
- First National Bank, Perryopolis, PA (Charter 6344) (1902-1936+)
- Farmers and Mechanics NB, Philadelphia, PA (Charter 538) (1864-1918)
- Philadelphia National Bank, Philadelphia, PA (Charter 539) (1864-1990)
- National Bank of Germantown, Philadelphia, PA (Charter 546) (1864-1936+)
- Girard National Bank, Philadelphia, PA (Charter 592) (1864-1926)
- Ninth National Bank, Philadelphia, PA (Charter 3371) (1885-1923)
- Tenth National Bank, Philadelphia, PA (Charter 3423) (1885-1929)
- Manayunk NB/Manayunk-Quaker City NB/Commercial NB, Philadelphia, PA (Charter 3604) (1886-1934)
- Pine Grove National Bank, Pine Grove, PA (Charter 8151) (1906-1936+)
- First National Bank, Uniontown, PA (Charter 270) (1864-1915)
- Second National Bank, Uniontown, PA (Charter 5034) (1896-1936+)
- First National Bank, Warren, PA (Charter 520) (1864-1936+)
- Warren National Bank, Warren, PA (Charter 4879) (1893-1982)
- First National Bank, Williamsburg, PA (Charter 6971) (1903-1934)
- First National Bank, Zelienople, PA (Charter 6141) (1902-1934)
- Banker Bios:
- Atkinson, Louis Evans (Mifflintown, PA)
- Bower, Clark Milton (New Bloomfield, PA)
- Bowman, Josiah Hite (Meyersdale, PA)
- Hetrick, David Murry (Mifflin, PA)
- Miller, Norman E. (Meyersdale, PA)
- Pomeroy, William Culbertson (New Bloomfield, PA)
- Snook, James Farry (Beaver Springs, PA)
- Snyder, John D. (Liverpool, PA)
- Wolfe, O. Howard (Philadelphia, PA)
- Other Articles:
Pennsylvania National Bank Stats & Graphs
- # Issuing Banks: 1196
- # Non-Issuing Banks: 78
- # Small Size Issuers: 899
- # Territorial Banks: 0
- # Towns with Issuing Banks: 662
- # Counties with Issuing Banks: 68
- NBN Geo. Letter: E
- State Capital: Harrisburg
- Statehood Date: Dec 12, 1787
- Pennsylvania National Bank Graphs & Lists
- # of National Banks Chartered By Year
- # of National Bank Failures (Receivership) By Year
- # of National Bank Closures (Receivership/Liquidation/Closed) By Year
- # of National Banks In Operation By Year
- List of 40 National Banks with Lowest # of Notes Issued
Famous Pennsylvania Banks & Bankers
Pennsylvania Bank Histories Index
The Bank Histories are organized alphabetically by Town, then by Bank Open Date. To find the Pennsylvania Bank you are looking for, select from the following Index list. You can also search the entire wiki for the Bank's town name or charter number using the Search Box in the upper right corner.
Pennsylvania Banker Biographies Index
The Banker Bios are organized alphabetically by Last Name. To find the Pennsylvania Banker you are looking for, select from the following Index list. For an Index list of all Banker Bios for all States, use the Banker Biographies sidebar link. You can also search the entire wiki for the Banker's last name using the Search Box in the upper right corner.
Pennsylvania Counties Index
This index lists Pennsylvania counties that had towns with National or Obsolete Banks (1782-1935).
Pennsylvania Towns Index
This index lists Pennsylvania towns that had National or Obsolete Banks (1782-1935).
PA Obsolete to National Bank Conversions
Pennsylvania Banking History
(This could be a brief overview here, for PA Banking History, covering both the Obsolete(?) and National Bank Note Eras. Or probably better to link to an article in 'Other Articles').
- Information on the origin and history of National Bank Notes (Wikipedia)
- General information on Pennsylvania (Wikipedia)
Pennsylvania Research Resources
- T. Holdsworth, Financing An Empire: History of Banking in Pennsylvania (4 Volumes) (Chicago - Philadelphia: The S.J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1928).
- Richard T. Hoober, Pennsylvania Obsolete Notes and Scrip (SPMC.org: Society of Paper Money Collectors, 1985).
- Don C. Kelly, National Bank Notes, A Guide with Prices. 6th Edition (Oxford, OH: The Paper Money Institute, 2008).
- Dean Oakes and John Hickman, Standard Catalog of National Bank Notes. 2nd Edition (Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 1990).
- The National Bank Note Census, nbncensus.com
- OCC Annual Reports 1863-1935 (U.S. Treasury Dept: Office of the Comptroller of the Currency).
- (The OCC Annual Reports are available online at the Currency Club of Chester County (PA) website).
- The Bankers Magazine 1846-1922 (New York: various publishers over the years).
- (The Bankers Magazine volumes are available online at the Currency Club of Chester County (PA) website).
- Rand McNally Banker's Directories 1879-1935 (Chicago: Rand McNally & Company).
- Polk's Banker's Encyclopedias 1895-1935 (Detroit and New York: Polk Bankers Encyclopedia Co.).
- James A. Haxby, United States Obsolete Bank Notes 1782-1866 (4 volumes) (Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 1988).
- Paper Money Journal, 1962-present (Published by the Society of Paper Money Collectors, spmc.org). Many articles over the years about the history of National & Obsolete Banks and Bankers. An archive of all back issues with search capabilities is online for SPMC members at spmc.org.
- FDIC, Bank Find History website. https://research2.fdic.gov/bankfind/index.html
- Pennsylvania State Historical Society website, (?)
- Historical Biographies (with Bios & Photos) - PA State Senate
- Historical Biographies (with Bios & Photos) - PA House of Representatives
- Ancestry.com, Findagrave.com, Newspapers.com