How to Add a new National Bank History page
These instructions will show you how to Add a new National Bank History page to this wiki.
Adding a National Bank History page
We now have a program written that will generate the Bank History page for a National bank with most of the relevant bank info already filled in and formatted!
- Information for the following sections will be filled in:
- Official Bank Title(s)
- Bank Note Types Issued
- Bank Presidents and Cashiers.
- The Bank History Summary for this bank will be copied into the 'Bank History' section, so that info will be there for you to expand upon.
- The only 2 sections left to fill in are the brief 'Town History' section (with info you can get from the town's Wikipedia page), and the 'Bank History' section. Also be sure to list your sources down in the References section.
- Uploading your images will be easy: Standardized image filenames will be assigned for the Bank Postcard, Bank Photo (or 2nd Postcard) and Large and Small size bank note images on the Bank History page. Then you can just click on the (red) image links, and it will bring up the image file uploader so you can easily upload each image, which will automatically be renamed and linked into your Bank History page. Then you can type in the appropriate caption for each image.
- NOTE: Since viewed images are cached by the wiki, it may take a couple of minutes for the uploaded images to show. If you want them to show right away, edit the page and click on 'Show Preview', and that should force the images to show now.
Before you ask to have a new Bank History page set up for your bank, you should try to have the following information ready:
- Text (and sources) for the 'Bank History' section.
- (Note: For the bank history section, it doesn't need to be complete/perfect to start with, it can always be updated with further information later).
- A contemporary postcard or photo of the bank.
- Either a recent photo of the bank building (if it is still standing), or else another contemporary postcard/photo of the bank (ie maybe an interior view, or a 2nd building that the bank occupied, or a bank letterhead, etc). (Note: Google Maps/Street View is a good way to possibly get a recent photo of the old bank building, if it is still standing).
- A scan of a nice large size bank note from the bank with good signatures of the bank officers, and a small size bank note (if issued).
- Note: If you don't have all of these images, that's ok, someone else can add any missing images later.
When you have the above information ready for a bank, send an email to email@example.com with a subject of 'New Bank History page'. Include the Charter# of the Bank, and also include the Bankname, City, and State (to double-check that the Charter# is correct).
Also include your full name and email address, so your account can be setup on the wiki website (if it is not already):
- When your account is set up, you will receive an email asking you to change/set your login password (so watch your spam folder to make sure that email didn't get routed there).
- When you set your login password, you will also need to confirm your email address by checking the 'confirm email address' checkbox down by your email address. When you receive that confirmation email, respond as requested, and your email address will be confirmed.
- Once your account is set up on the wiki website, and your email address confirmed, you will be able to edit your Bank History page as needed (and also place it on your 'Watch List', so you can be notified via email if another user makes a change to that page).
- You can even edit any other Bank Histories or Banker Bio pages, if you have information to add...that's the great thing about wikis, they are community projects!
NOTE: If this is your first Bank History to be added to the wiki, or you're not familiar/comfortable with using a wiki website yet, you can go ahead and include the Bank History text (and Sources) in your email, attach the image files, and we will set up the full Bank History page for you.
When the wiki administrator receives your email, they will do the following:
- Add the new Bank History page to the wiki.
- Set up the State Home page on the wiki, if it is not already set up.
- Add the Bank History link to the 'What's New' section of the State Home page.
- Add the Bank History link to the relevant Bank History Index page on the wiki.
- Link the Bank History page to that bank in the Bank & Bankers Database.
- Contact you to let you know the Bank History page is set up and ready to go.
- This Wiki is based on MediaWiki software, the same software that runs Wikipedia. So it uses the same markup language.