First National Bank, Miamisburg, OH (Charter 3876)
The First National Bank Miamisburg, OH (1888 - 1988) was the more successful of two national banks in Miamisburg. It survived decades after the end of the national era.
The First National Bank was formed in 1888 when the banking company of H. Groby and Co., established in 1866, merged with the First National Bank.
In 1918, the bank received a very positive review in the Annual Labor Review.
As of 1919, the First National Bank was located on North Main St.
Robberies plagued the First National Bank in the 1960s. The Farmersville Branch, established in 1956 when the Citizens Bank of Farmersville was purchased, was robbed of $50,000 in 1964. Two masked gunmen had to make two trips in their getaway car to carry off all the money.Both suspects were caught and tried within 6 months.
In 1968, the Centerville branch of the bank was robbed 3 times in 3 weeks. All 3 robberies were by the same man, a French Canadian who had been in the area 5 months working on a construction project.
In 1982, President W. Terry Lyons and Vice President William Bostleman were indicted for allegedly helping Larry Hahn, president of defunct Contemporary Dodge pass bad checks. Hahn's bad checks resulted in losses of $200,000 to other car dealerships and private individuals.Charges were dropped against Bostleman and later dropped against Lyons as well.
Bank Notes Issued
A total of $1,811,100 in National Bank Notes was issued by this bank between 1888 and 1935. This consisted of a total of 145,607 notes (122,620 large size and 22,987 small size notes).
This bank issued the following Types and Denominations of bank notes:
- Series 1882 Brown Back ($10,$20)
- Series 1902 Red Seal ($10,$20)
- Series 1902 Date Back ($10,$20)
- Series 1902 Plain Back ($10,$20)
- Series 1929 Type 1 small size ($10,$20)
- Series 1929 Type 2 small size ($10,$20)
Official Bank Title(s)
- The First National Bank of Miamisburg (04/30/1888)
Bank Presidents and Cashiers
First National Bank Presidents and Cashiers during the National Bank Note Era (1889 - 1935):
- Henry Groby, 1888 – 1890
- Newton J. Catrow, 1891 – 1909
- Thomas Venard Lyons, Jr., 1910 – 1932
- Charles Franklin Eck, 1932 – 1941+
- Newton J. Catrow, 1888 – 1890
- Elmer M. Hill, 1891
- W. A. Black, 1892 – 1897
- H. G. Catrow, 1898 – 1907
- Charles Franklin Eck, 1908 – 1932
- C. A. Schuster, 1932 – 1935
Other Bank Note Signers
- There are currently no known Vice President or Assistant Cashier bank note signers for this bank.
- [https://books.google.com/books?id=2NsyAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA1011&lpg=PA1011&dq=%22First+National+Bank+of+Miamisburg%22&source=bl&ots=Zb8jmxn8yS&sig=eZk0bSbaHKz50O4TKbyJ4WEf9Sw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiXruaW_a3aAhWOl-AKHS6yDHM4ChDoAQgoMAA#v=onepage&q=%22First%20National%20Bank%20of%20Miamisburg%22&f=false Centennial Portrait and Biographical Record of the City of Dayton and of Montgomery County, Ohio: Containing Biographical Sketches of Prominent and Representative Citizens, Together with the Biographies and Portraits of the Presidents of the United States and Biographies of the Governors of Ohio (1897)]
- [http://www.daytonhistorybooks.com/page/page/5704069.htm OFFICIAL ANNUAL LABOR REVIEW: A Review of the Miami Valley Financial, Industrial and Commercial Enterprises In Sympathy with the Tenets of Organized Labor (1918)]
- Memoirs of the Miami Valley Volume 2 (1919)
- Dayton Daily News January 29, 1988.
- Dayton Daily News, July 6, 1988
- Federal Reserve Data
- Dayton Daily News May 23, 1964
- Journal Herald October 1, 1964
- Dayton Daily News July 12, 1968
- Journal Herald March 17, 1982
- Dayton Daily News April 10, 1982
- Dayton Daily News August 13, 1982
- Don C. Kelly, National Bank Notes, A Guide with Prices. 6th Edition (Oxford, OH: The Paper Money Institute, 2008).
- Dean Oakes and John Hickman, Standard Catalog of National Bank Notes. 2nd Edition (Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 1990).
- Banks & Bankers Historical Database (1782-1935), https://bbdata.banknotehistory.com