Dr. Louis Bagby (Vinita, OK)
Dr. Louis Bagby (May 16, 1875 – February 15, 1943)
- Name: Dr. Louis Bagby
- Birth: May 16, 1875 New Haven, MO
- Death: Feb. 15, 1943 Vinita, OK (buried in Kansas City, MO)
- Brother of Banker Dr. Oliver Bagby
- Medical Corps during WW I
Dr. Louis Bagby came to Vinita from Missouri in 1900. In addition to being a physician, he was associated with several banking operations. He became a stockholder and Vice President of the Cherokee National Bank in 1901 and served as such until 1907 when he sold his interest. In 1908, he became a stockholder of the First National Bank of Vinita. He was elected director in 1917. In 1925 he was elected President of the bank to succeed his brother, Dr. Oliver Bagby, who resigned due to ill health. In 1925, the Craig County Bankers Association appointed a committee to take up the matter of vigilantes, the purpose of which is to protect banks against bank robbers. The meeting was held at the First National Bank with Dr. Bagby acting as toastmaster, hosting their distinguished guests, Eugene P. Gum, secretary of the State Bankers association of Oklahoma City and Richard Wheatley, assistant county attorney.
Dr. Bagby advertised his medical and surgical practice located in the Halsell building which was also the location of the First National Bank. An association with Dr. C.S. Neer that started in 1908 led to the building of the Vinita Hospital in 1926. Dr. Bagby practiced medicine in the early days when there were no highways or bridges, and even before there were automobiles. During a snow storm in 1905, he practiced medicine from a sleigh and at one time got stuck in a snow drift and had to skate for about eight miles to see his patient. He served as a medical officer in the Army overseas during World War I. He was president of the Medical Society of Northeastern Oklahoma.
After a long illness which proved fatal, Vinita pioneer Dr. Louis Bagby passed away Feb. 16, 1943 at the age of 67. He was survived by his wife, Mrs. Rosa Belle Enos Bagby, a brother, William B. Bagby, a son and banker in Kansas City, Julian, and two daughters, Mrs. Annabelle Randolf of Kansas City and Mrs. Elizabeth Peoples of San Marino, CA.
Bank Officer Summary
During his banking career, L. Bagby was involved with the following bank(s):
- First National Bank, Vinita, OK (Charter 4704): President 1924-1935
- The Cherokee National Bank, Vinita, OK (Charter 5860): Vice President 1901-1907
- Dr. Louis Bagby Obituary: The Welch Watchman, Welch, OK, Wed., Feb. 17, 1943
- Findagrave.com: https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/127295472/louis-bagby
- Banks & Bankers Historical Database (1782-1935), https://bbdata.banknotehistory.com
- 100 Years of Banking 1892-1992 The First National Bank, Vinita, OK
- Craig County Gazette, Vinita, OK, April 9, 1925, p. 8.
- The Kansas City Times, Kansas City, MO, April 17, 1985, p. D-11.