Carl O. Pfaff (Old Forge, NY)
Carl O. Pfaff (October 21, 1887 – May 1, 1968)
- Name: Carl O. Pfaff
- Birth: October 21, 1887 Copenhagen, Lewis County, NY
- Death: May 1, 1968 Old Forge, Herkimer County, NY
- Spouse1: Hazel (Peary) Pfaff (1893-1960) (Married 1914)
- Spouse2: Phyllis C. (Nash) Pfaff (Married 1962)
Carl O. Pfaff was born in Copenhagen, Lewis County, NY on October 21, 1887. He was a son of John and Ardell Maurer Pfaff, and at the age of six months moved with his parents to Carthage. Following graduation from West Carthage High School, he received his appointment to the Fifth National Bank in New York City, and was employed there from 1905 to 1917. He also attended New York Law School.
On September 26, 1914, he married Hazel Peary in the Madison Avenue Methodist Church. They resided in New York City until coming to Old Forge in 1917, where he organized the First National Bank of Old Forge as its cashier. This position he held until April 1955, when the bank merged with Oneida National Bank and Trust Company of Utica. After that he served as manager and then vice-president until his retirement in December, 1961.
After his wife Hazel’s death in 1960, Carl married Phyllis C. Nash, a widow living in McKeever, NY, on February 16, 1962 in Dubuque, Iowa.
Carl was one of the founders of Niccols Memorial Presbyterian Church, and was an active member and an elder. He was a past master of Northwoods Lodge, F&AM, and a past potentate of Ziyara Shrine, Utica. He was also a past president of the Oneida-Herkimer Bankers Association and the Group 4, Bankers Association.
Carl O. Pfaff died May 1, 1968 at his home in Old Forge, after a long illness.
Bank Officer Summary
During his banking career, Carl O. Pfaff was involved with the following bank(s):
- First National Bank, Old Forge, NY (Charter 10964): Cashier 1917-1935
- Bio info from Carl's grandson Robert Pfaff, Feb 3, 2021.
- Carl O. Pfaff Retirement article, The Post-Standard, Syracuse, NY. Sunday, December 17, 1961, p24.
- Carl O. Pfaff Obituary, Journal and Republican, Lowville, NY. Thursday, May 9, 1968, p2.
- Findagrave.com https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/49670576/carl-o.-pfaff
- Banks & Bankers Historical Database (1782-1935), https://bbdata.banknotehistory.com