Bank Note History Project - Acknowledgments and Sources
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- A special acknowledgment to Andrew Pollock III for his efforts transcribing the Presidents & Cashiers and the Total Resources & Circulation balances for all of the National Banks from the Annual OCC Reports 1863-1935, and for allowing us to use that data in our project. Andrew also transcribed additional National Bank succession data from Bankers Magazines dated 1863 to March of 1909 (when that magazine stopped reporting that information).
- A special acknowledgment to Peter Huntoon for his help reviewing the Pollock OCC Bank Officer and Balance data, and for sharing his data and vast knowledge of National Bank Note History.
- A special acknowledgment to Mark De Jeu for his help with programming the Banks & Bankers Database Search website.
- The following people have helped with information for the Banks & Bankers Database and the Bank Note History Wiki: Mark Anderson, Gary Bleichner, Frank Clark, Sergio Correia, Greg Culpepper, Dan Dieter, Julie Drengson, Marianne Drengson, Jim Ehrhardt, Manning Garrett, Loren Gatch, Todd Gylsen, Shawn Hewitt, David Hollander, Mark Hotz, Peter Huntoon, Glen Jorde, Karl Kabelac, William Lynch, Fred Maples, Robert Pfaff, Cord Polen, Richard Radick, Cody Regennitter, Tim Sanda, Gil Sem, Adam Stroup, Steve Sweeney, Andy Timmerman, Cory Williams, Wendell Wolka.
- Thanks to Greg Culpepper, Loren Gatch, Shawn Hewitt, William Lynch, Richard Radick, Cody Regennitter, Adam Stroup and Cory Williams for their help with creating and editing Bank Note History Wiki content.
- Project Administrator: Mark Drengson (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- OCC Annual Reports 1863 – 1935 (U.S. Treasury Dept: Office of the Comptroller of the Currency).
- The OCC Annual Reports are available online at the Currency Club of Chester County (PA) website.
- OCC Current List of Active National Banks. https://www.occ.gov/topics/charters-and-licensing/financial-institution-lists/index-financial-institution-lists.html
- FDIC Bank Find History website. https://research2.fdic.gov/bankfind/index.html
- Rand McNally Banker's Directories 1879 – 1940 (Chicago: Rand McNally & Company).
- Many of the Rand McNally Banker's Directories are available online at the St. Louis Fed Fraser website.
- Polk's Banker's Encyclopedias 1906 – 1934 (Detroit and New York: Polk Bankers Encyclopedia Co.).
- The Bankers Magazine 1846 – 1922 (New York: various publishers over the years).
- The Bankers Magazine volumes are available online at the Currency Club of Chester County (PA) website.
- The National Bank Note Census (National Currency Foundation). https://www.nbncensus.com/about.html
- Smithsonian National Bank Note Certified Proofs Collection search website (Washington, D.C.)
- (Search on 'TownName (or Charter#) certified proof'. ie 'Pipestone certified proof' or '3982 certified proof').
- Don C. Kelly, National Bank Notes, A Guide with Prices. 6th Edition (Oxford, OH: The Paper Money Institute, 2008).
- Dean Oakes and John Hickman, Standard Catalog of National Bank Notes. 2nd Edition (Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 1990).
- Louis Van Belkum, National Banks of the Note Issuing Period 1863-1935 (Chicago: Hewitt Bros. Numismatic Publications, 1968).
- James A. Haxby, United States Obsolete Bank Notes 1782-1866 (4 volumes) (Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 1988).
- James C. Ehrhardt and Steven J. Sweeney, Iowa National Bank Notes (Okoboji, IA: The William J. Higgins, Jr. Foundation, 2006).
- J. Fred Maples, Maryland Paper Money, An Illustrated History, 1864-1935 (JFM Numismatics, 2015).
- Dr. Wallace G. Lee, Michigan Obsolete Bank & Scrip Notes and National Bank Notes (Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 2006).
- R. Shawn Hewitt, A History & Catalog of Minnesota Obsolete Bank Notes & Scrip (New York: Smythe, 2006).
- Gerome Walton, A History of Nebraska Banking and Paper Money (Lincoln, NE: Centennial, 1978).
- Austin M. Sheheen, Jr., South Carolina Obsolete Bank Notes and Scrip (Camden, SC: Midlands Printing, 2003).
- Bill Logan, The Houston Heritage Collection of National Bank Notes 1863 thru 1935 (Houston, TX: D. Armstrong Company, 1977).
- Chester L. Krause, Wisconsin Obsolete Bank Notes and Scrip (Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 1994).
- Ira B. Cross, Financing an Empire: History of Banking in California (4 volumes) (Chicago: The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1927).
- Francis Murray Huston, Financing an Empire: History of Banking in Illinois (4 volumes) (Chicago: The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1926).
- John Thom Holdsworth, Financing an Empire: History of Banking in Pennsylvania (4 volumes) (Chicago: The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1928).
- Paper Money Journal, 1962-present (Published by the Society of Paper Money Collectors, spmc.org).
- The Paper Money Journal contains many articles over the years about the history of National & Obsolete Banks and Bankers. An archive of all back issues with search capabilities is online for SPMC members at spmc.org.