Arthur Clarence Walker (Pipestone, MN)
Arthur Clarence Walker (January 8, 1881 – May 6, 1940)
Early life and family
Arthur Clarence Walker was born January 8, 1881 to Frank A. and Violet B. Walker in Mankato, MN. In 1883 the family moved to Pipestone, where he lived the rest of his life. A.C. graduated from Pipestone High School in 1899, and then took business classes at Mankato Commercial College, graduating from there in 1900.
On June 7, 1909, Mr. Walker married Flora A. Evans, daughter of Mr. & Mrs. Evan J. Evans of Pipestone. They had five daughters; Ruth E. (b. 1910) (who was involved as a hostage in the 1934 robbery of the Pipestone National Bank), Arline (b. 1914), Janet (b. 1915), Madeline (b. 1917?) (who passed away as a baby in 1917), and Alice E. (b. 1918). Mrs. Flora Walker passed away on December 13, 1918. On August 31, 1921, A. C. was married to Alma K. Evans (a sister of his first wife). They had one son Frank E. (b. 1924).
Mr. Walker's banking career began in 1900 when he was employed as a bookkeeper at the First National Bank in Pipestone. In January 1909, he was elected Cashier, and served in that capacity until August 1919, when he was elected President to succeed E. J. Feldman, who had resigned. In January 1921, A.C. resigned as President, and sold his interest in the First National Bank.
For the next two years, A.C. was engaged in the Loan Insurance business and Real Estate. In January 1923, he purchased the interest of E. W. Davies in the Pipestone National Bank, and succeeded him as President of that institution. He still held that office at the time of his death in 1940.
Later life and death
Arthur C. Walker passed away at the age of 59 on May 6, 1940 in Pipestone after being ill for several months. He is buried in Old Woodlawn Cemetery in Pipestone, MN.
Bank Officer Summary
During his banking career, A. C. Walker was involved with the following banks:
- First National Bank, Pipestone, MN (Charter 3982): President 1919-1920; Cashier 1909-1919; Asst Cashier 1906...1908
- Pipestone National Bank, Pipestone, MN (Charter 10936): President 1923-1929
- Pipestone National Bank, Pipestone, MN (Charter 13399): President 1929-1940
- A.C. Walker Obituary, Pipestone Leader, 5/10/1940.
- A.C. Walker Obituary, Pipestone County Star, 5/??/1940.
- "Annual Stockholder meetings held for the National Banks of Pipestone", Pipestone County Star, 1/14/1921.
- "Pipestone First National Bank History", Internal bank document, (probably) written by A.R. Stillwell, 1919,1929
- (Document on file at the Pipestone County Historical Society Museum, Pipestone, MN).
- OCC Annual Reports 1909-1940, Office of the Comptroller of the Currency - U.S. Treasury Dept.
- A.C. Walker family tree, Ancestry.com
- 1917 World War I Draft Registration Card.
- 1910,1920,1930 U.S. Federal Census.
- Banks & Bankers Historical Database (1782-1935), https://bbdata.banknotehistory.com