First National Bank of Enid, OK (Charter 9586)

From Bank Note History
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Error creating thumbnail: Unable to save thumbnail to destination
This should be a contemporary postcard or photo of the bank. (Set Height x300px)

First National Bank of Enid, OK (Chartered 1909 - Liquidated 1986)

Town History

Error creating thumbnail: Unable to save thumbnail to destination
This could be recent photo of the bank or another postcard. (Set Height x300px)

Enid is the ninth-largest city in the state of Oklahoma. It is the county seat of Garfield County. As of the 2010 census, the population was 49,379. Enid was founded during the opening of the Cherokee Outlet in the Land Run of 1893, and is named after Enid, a character in Alfred, Lord Tennyson's Idylls of the King. In 1991, the Oklahoma state legislature designated Enid the "purple martin capital of Oklahoma." Enid holds the nickname of "Queen Wheat City" and "Wheat Capital" of Oklahoma and the United States for its immense grain storage capacity, and has the third-largest grain storage capacity in the world.

In summer 1889, M.A. Low, a Rock Island official, visited the local railroad station then under construction, and inquired about its name. At that time, it was called Skeleton. Disliking the original name, he renamed the station Enid after a character in Alfred Lord Tennyson's Idylls of the King. However, a more fanciful story of how the town received its name is popular. According to that tale, in the days following the land run, some enterprising settlers decided to set up a chuckwagon and cook for their fellow pioneers, hanging a sign that read "DINE". Some other, more free-spirited settlers, turned that sign backward to read, of course, "ENID". The name stuck.

During the opening of the Cherokee Outlet in the Land Run of 1893, Enid was the location of a land office which is now preserved in its Humphrey Heritage Village, part of the Cherokee Strip Regional Heritage Center.

The Enid-Pond Creek Railroad War ensued when the Department of the Interior moved the government site 3 mi south of the station prior to the land run, which was then called South Enid. During the run, due to the Rock Island's refusal to stop, people leaped from the trains to stake their claim in the government-endorsed site. By the afternoon of the run, Enid's population was estimated at 12,000 people located in the 80-acres comprising the town. A year later, the population was estimated at 4,410, growing to 10,087 by 1907, the year of Oklahoma statehood.

Enid had eight National Banks chartered during the Bank Note Era, and four of those banks issued National Bank Notes.

Bank History

  • Organized Nov 3, 1909
  • Chartered Nov 20, 1909
  • Conversion of the Enid State Guaranty Bank, Enid, Okla.
  • Absorbed 11584 Dec 20, 1929 (American NB (No Issue), Enid, OK)
  • Bank was Open past 1935
  • For Bank History after 1935 see FDIC Bank History website
  • Failed. Closed with government assistance Nov 6, 1986

Thomas P. Kane, deputy and acting comptroller of the currency authorized the First National Bank of Enid to commence the business of banking on November 20, 1909 with capital of $100,000. S.T. Goltry, was president

On January 3, 1910, Sherman T. Goltry, president of the bank disposed of practically off of his interests to Mr. Champlin as did Charles W. Goltry, U.M. Goltry and S.W. Johnson. S.T. Goltry retired and Mr. Champlin took his place as president. John Cook retained his position and interests as cashier. The bank deal included the purchase of the Champlin building near the northeast corner of the square by S.T. Goltry. The building was leased for ten years to a hardware firm at $500/month. The First National bank had been under the control and management of the Goltrys for nearly nine years. It was started in 1895 by Mr. Champlin under the name of the Enid State bank. Mr. Champlin operated it and then sold to John Murphy who nationalized it as the First National Bank. Mr. Murphy operated the bank for about 2 years before selling to the Goltrys. During the Spring of 1909, the First National was changed to a state bank operating under the name of the Enid State Guaranty bank. Shortly after the failure of the Columbia Trust Company, the national charter was again resumed. All the old directors of the bank remained on the new board. Mr. Champlain was a pioneer of Enid operating businesses since the city was founded. Officers elected on January 12, 1910 were H.H. Champlin, president; S.T. Goltry, vice president, John P. Cook, cashier; J.N. Smith, assistant cashier. The directors were E.B. Weatherly, H.H. Champlin, C.E. Gannon, S.T. Goltry, and John P. Cook.

Official Bank Title(s)

1: The First National Bank of Enid, OK

Bank Note Types Issued

Error creating thumbnail: Unable to save thumbnail to destination
Large size bank note here. Example: 1882 Brown Back $5 bank note with pen signatures of John Doe, Cashier and Jill Smith, President. Courtesy of... (Set Height x260px)
Small size bank note here. Example: 1929 Type 1 $10 bank note with printed signatures of John Doe, Cashier and Jill Smith, President. Courtesy of... (Set Height x220px)

A total of $1,448,590 in National Bank Notes was issued by this bank between 1909 and 1986. This consisted of a total of 116,795 notes (90,140 large size and 26,655 small size notes).

This bank issued the following Types and Denominations of bank notes:

Series/Type Sheet/Denoms Serial#s Sheet Comments
1902 Date Back 3x10-20 1 - 7700
1902 Plain Back 3x10-20 7701 - 22535
1929 Type 1 6x10 1 - 3128
1929 Type 1 6x20 1 - 754
1929 Type 2 10 1 - 2358
1929 Type 2 20 1 - 1005

Bank Presidents and Cashiers

Bank Presidents and Cashiers during the National Bank Note Era (1909 - 1986):

Presidents:

Cashiers:

Other Bank Note Signers

  • There are currently no known Vice President or Assistant Cashier bank note signers for this bank.

Wiki Links

Sources