First National Bank of Enid, OK (Charter 5335)
First National Bank of Enid, OK (Chartered 1900 - Liquidated 1909)
Enid is located in Garfield County.
Enid had eight National Banks chartered during the Bank Note Era, and four of those banks issued National Bank Notes.
- Organized Apr 26, 1900
- Chartered May 7, 1900
- Succeeded Enid State Bank
- Liquidated Mar 8, 1909
- Succeeded by Enid State Guaranty Bank
In 1900, three banks in Enid, Oklahoma Territory, were preparing to be chartered as National banks. The Murphy, or Exchange Bank, chose the title The First National Bank of Enid. The Fleming or Bank of Enid, chose The Enid National Bank. The Watkins-Kennedy Citizens Bank chose The Citizens Bank.
In April, 1900, the Comptroller of the Currency approved the appication of John Murphy, John A. Murphy, A.A. Murphy, W.W. Hagan, and G.M. Frantz for authority to oranize the First National Bank of enid with a capital of $25,000. The charter, No. 5,335, was signed on May 7, 1900 by Chas. D. Doss, to succeed the Enid State Bank.
The Enid State Bank was organized in 1894 with capital stock of $5,000; it was purchased by the present owners in 1899. The officers of the First National Bank were John Murphy, president, W.W. Hagen, vice president, J.A. Murphy, cashier, and John P. Cook, bookkeeper. Mr. Johy Murphy erected a handsome brick building of three stories on the west side of the public square. The bank occupied the corner room and was equipped with the most modern and up-to-date bank fixtures including fire-proof deposit vaults.
Official Bank Title(s)
1: The First National Bank of Enid, OK
Bank Note Types Issued
A total of $80,000 in National Bank Notes was issued by this bank between 1900 and 1909. This consisted of a total of 6,400 notes (6,400 large size and No small size notes).
This bank issued the following Types and Denominations of bank notes:
Series/Type Sheet/Denoms Serial#s Sheet Comments 1882 Brown Back 3x10-20 1 - 1400 Territory, Oklahoma 1882 Brown Back 3x10-20 1 - 200
Bank Presidents and Cashiers
Bank Presidents and Cashiers during the National Bank Note Era (1900 - 1909):
- John A. Murphy, 1900-1901
- Sherman Tracy Goltry, 1902-1908
- John A. Murphy, 1900-1901
- Joseph Harvey "Jack" Durrell, 1902-1903
- C. M. Lewis, 1904-1904
- John Percival Cook, 1905-1908
Other Bank Note Signers
- There are currently no known Vice President or Assistant Cashier bank note signers for this bank.
- Oklahoma Bank Note History
- General information on Enid (Wikipedia)
- General information on Garfield County (Wikipedia)
- General information on Oklahoma (Wikipedia)
- Enid, OK, Wikipedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enid,_Oklahoma
- Don C. Kelly, National Bank Notes, A Guide with Prices. 6th Edition (Oxford, OH: The Paper Money Institute, 2008).
- Dean Oakes and John Hickman, Standard Catalog of National Bank Notes. 2nd Edition (Iola, WI: Krause Publications, 1990).
- Banks & Bankers Historical Database (1782-1935), https://bbdata.banknotehistory.com
- The Enid Daily Morning News, Enid, OK, Thu., Mar. 22, 1900.
- The Enid Daily Morning News, Enid, OK, Tue., May 8, 1900.
- The Sun-Eagle, Enid, OK, Thu., May 17, 1900.
- The Sun-Eagle, Enid, OK, Thu., June 14, 1900.